Presented by Mobile RV Academy
‘Mastering Your RV’
Spend 3 Information Packed Days w/ Terry Cooper, the Texas RV Professor – as he shows you the ins and outs of your RV.
The Professor is a longtime Master Certified RVDA/RVIA Service Technician & Professional Instructor having taught RV maintenance for several accredited colleges and is currently traveling across the country conducting RV professional and consumer training.
For the last 5 years, He and Lady E (his wife, Evada) have lived full time in their 5th wheel traveling across the country with their company Mobile RV Academy visiting dealerships, RV Shows and Rallies. The Professor is also the President of the National RV Inspectors Association and co-owner of RV Inspection Connection helping the RV Consumer find the right RV.
Mastering Your RV is an intense 3 Day course that will help you have a better understanding of how your specific RV operates. You will learn by way of classroom and hands on experience the Do’s and the Don’ts of how your RV operates.
Taking the Mystery Out of Your 3 RV Electrical Systems
Voltage, amperage and wattage what do these terms have to do with RVs? This class will help you answer questions and more like:
- Why do my interior lights dim then get bright again?
- Now what do I do? I heard a pop then everything electrical went dead.
- Shore power, inverters and generators – what do they all have in common?
- Why is it my popcorn taking longer to pop in my RV microwave?
- How does my Residential refrigerator operate when I travel?
- And so much more……
You will learn how the 3 Electrical Systems operate in your RV. We will cover how you can quickly calculate your power needs to help you what you need to do to keep things working in your RV. When it is ok to use power reducers and adapters and how do use them in a safe manner. What are these things we call the EMS (Energy Management System), circuit breakers and fuses and how they are used to protect your RV?
Learn to Use Your Volt Ohm Meter
The Professor will be giving you your very own volt ohm meter. This one little device will give you a peek into the inner workings of your RV’s electrical systems by showing you how to test for blown fuses and checking the various voltages that you have.
Hands On Labs and Tour of Your 3 Electrical Systems
Hands-on learning is the most effective way to best understand how your RV works. It will help you side-step issues before they become an problem. You will be checking your 120 Volt AC electrical panel box in your RV to see exactly how it works. You will test each wall receptacle for correct polarity as well as identifying which ones are GFCI protected that work to keep you safe.
Did you know that your RV has a battery that acts like a piggy bank to give you 12 volts DC power that you can draw from when you are not hooked up to Shore Power? The Professor will show you how issues with your 12volt DC Battery system will affect your furnace, refrigerator, lights, exhaust fans and other devices in your RV.
The RV Propane System – The Other Energy Source
The Propane System on your RV is one of the safest and most efficient energy systems found on today’s RV. The most important factor concerning Propane or LP (liquified petroleum) is safety in filling, handling and using.
Learn about the new changes in the Federal Regulations governing the use of your LP cylinders found in your RV.
Some of the Questions that will be addressed are:
- Is it safe to travel with my propane turned on? Some people yes and some say no – How to make the right choice for you.
- Why do I have low LP flame at my cook top when I know I have full cylinders?
- And so much more….
The Fresh and Waste Water Systems – These 2 systems are used in Every RV. Your RV is a mini city with its fresh water and sewer systems. Learn how the 2 Fresh Water Systems tie together into your RV and feed your toilet, shower and all the other fresh water fixtures.
When flushing your toilet or taking a shower, find out where this water goes. Ever wonder why your sewer waste tank monitor lights seem to read the same levels all the time? Learn what you can do to help clear those stuck lights and get a better understanding of what they are telling you. There is so much more to learn about the water systems in this segment.
Your RV Air Conditioner – How It Works and How To Improve Its Efficiency
The Air Conditioner on top of your Recreational Vehicle is one of the most overworked and under serviced appliances on the coach. Once you know how it operates you will appreciate what it is doing for you. You will learn a few simple procedures will help keep your air conditioner operating at its peak performance.
- How can I test the efficiency of my air conditioner?
- Does it need more Freon or something to make it work better?
Learn how to test the efficiency of your air conditioner with a food thermometer.
- Keeping the filters clean and other little tricks to increasing the air flow and efficiency
- Why the correct voltage and amperage is the life blood of your Air Conditioner
The Professor’s Law of Air Conditioning is – “In order to have cool air inside you must get the hot out!!!!”
The RV Refrigerator – an Amazing Appliance – Why is it you never hear the compressor running on the RV refrigerator?……because it’s not there!!! There is NO compressor or pump to create the circulation of the gas refrigerate. The RV Refrigerator will take heat from a propane flame or an electric heating element and create cold inside the box.
- Dometic, Norcold – which one is yours? They are the same but yet they are different.
- Did you know that….. For every minute the door of your RV Refrigerator is left open it takes 1 HOUR to recover?
- My refrigerator isn’t cooling like it should, what can I do?
- And so much more……
Hands On Labs and Tour of your Air Conditioner and RV Refrigerator
Learn the things to look for and how you can perform your basic maintenance on your air conditioner and refrigerator. Little tricks and tips that will help you keep your RV out of the shop and keep you a happy camper.
Keeping the Hot Water Flowing with Your RV Water Heater
There are 2 major brands of water heaters that we use in our RVs. Which one is yours and how do you maintain it so you never have to take a cold shower. Have you ever said….
- I don’t have hot water coming out of the faucets…what is wrong?
- Can I help with the efficiency of my water heater? Learn how to flush and service your water heater so you can extend the life of this very dependable RV appliance.
- And so much more…..
Leveling Systems and Slide Outs – When it’s all working ….it’s the best thing since apple pie…..but when it’s not…. ‘What do I do when my slide-outs won’t work?’
- What kind of system do you have?
- How does it work?
- What do I do when it doesn’t functioning properly?
6 Point Hydraulic Leveling System
SchwinTec Slide out system
How Do You Keep the Water out?
Learn simple steps you can do and the right sealants to use, to keep the water from coming into your RV and damaging your roof and walls.
Key areas that we need to monitor to make sure that our RV stays nice and dry.
Touring the Exterior of the RV to visually inspect specific areas to make sure our RVs are dry and in well working order.
What’s in Your Tool Box? Ever wonder what tools you need to perform the basic maintenance on your RV? You will have a chance to see the various tools and items that every RVer should have on hand to keep their RV going.
Tool Box – links below are ONLY examples from Amazon (website)
- Volt Ohm Multi-Meter (Mobile RV Academy will give you your very own meter as part of the class)
- Polarity Tester w/ GFCI Tester
- 6 Way screwdriver (Philips and flat blade tips)
- Needle nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Bright Flashlight
- Black Electrical Tape
- Aluminum Foil Tape
- Assortment of Automotive Fuses (5 amp, 10 amp, 15 amp, 20 amp and 25 amp)
- Assortment of Electrical Connectors (wire nuts, terminal lugs, terminal rings and butt splice connectors)
- Hose washers for fresh water hoses
- Teflon tape
To register for this class – HEARTLAND 2017 National Rally – Click Here
To register for this class – REDWOOD OWNERS GROUP 2017 National Rally – Click Here